- tangled in knots or snarls; "a mass of knotted string"; "snarled thread" (同)snarled, snarly
- pine lumber with many knots; used especially for paneling and furniture
- tie or fasten into a knot; "knot the shoelaces"
- something twisted and tight and swollen; "their muscles stood out in knots"; "the old mans fists were two great gnarls"; "his stomach was in knots" (同)gnarl
- a hard cross-grained round piece of wood in a board where a branch emerged; "the saw buckled when it hit a knot"
- a sandpiper that breeds in the Arctic and winters in the southern hemisphere (同)greyback, grayback, Calidris canutus
- any of various fastenings formed by looping and tying a rope (or cord) upon itself or to another rope or to another object
- a tight cluster of people or things; "a small knot of women listened to his sermon"; "the bird had a knot of feathers forming a crest"
- make into knots; make knots out of; "She knotted her fingers"
- (木などが)節(こぶ)の多い / 紛糾した(puzzling),困難な
- 『結び目』,結び / (リボンなどで作った)飾り結び / (人・物の,通例小さな)群れ,一団 / (板・木材の)節,節目;(筋肉などの)隆起 / 困難(difficulty) / 縁,絆(きずな) / ノット(1時間に1海里(約1,852m)進む速さの単位) / …‘を'『結びなわせる』《+『名』+『together』,+『together』+『名』》 / …‘に'結び目をつける,‘を'結ぶ / (こぶになって)堅く結ばれる,もつれる
The game of knotty is a Scottish team sport. It is a variation of the game of shinty as played in the fishing communities of Lybster, Caithness. It used to be played widely in the town, as was shinty in the rest of Caithness, but it ceased to be played around the end of the 19th Century, until 1993 when it was revived by local enthusiasts.
It involves a stick (knotty), which can be almost any form of wooden implement, and a cork fishing float as ball with varying sizes of players. Local history books suggest knotty was invented by the fishing wives of Lybster – once one of the Europe's busiest herring ports – to help keep their men sober when they were ashore. However, whilst this would have been a fine side effect of the game, the sport draws from the same prevalence of stick-ball games throughout Scotland at that time, many of which became codified into shinty in other areas.
With the rundown of the industry in the late 19th century, knotty fell into abeyance until local hotelier, the late Bert Mowat, found a copy containing the few rules of the sport wedged between the pages of a Gaelic bible in a bedroom.
The Knotty World Championship takes place in Lybster every year, Sinclair Bay Hotel of Keiss being 2006 champions. In 2006, the lack of cork floats made in the traditional style was seen as a threat to the continuation of the sport.
The championship has not been held in a few years but the local shinty side still maintain the tradition with a new year game.
- Images of the 2006 Championship
- Long Cord: A Knotty Affair.
- Mehta S1, Singla A2, Sinha S3, Grover A4.
- Journal of clinical and diagnostic research : JCDR.J Clin Diagn Res.2017 May;11(5):QJ01. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2017/24748.9780. Epub 2017 May 1.
- PMID 28658856
- ALMA Observations of the Water Fountain Pre-Planetary Nebula IRAS 16342-3814: High-Velocity Bipolar Jets and an Expanding Torus.
- Sahai R1, Vlemmings WH2, Gledhill T3, Sánchez Contreras C4, Lagadec E5, Nyman LÅ6, Quintana-Lacaci G7.
- The astrophysical journal. Letters.Astrophys J Lett.2017 Jan 20;835(1). pii: L13. doi: 10.3847/2041-8213/835/1/L13.
- PMID 28191303
- Acrolein and Human Disease: Untangling the Knotty Exposure Scenarios Accompanying Several Diverse Disorders.
- Burcham PC1.
- Chemical research in toxicology.Chem Res Toxicol.2017 Jan 17;30(1):145-161. doi: 10.1021/acs.chemrestox.6b00310. Epub 2016 Nov 17.
- PMID 27802593
- 平井 宏明,飯村 太紀,井上 恵太,宮崎 文夫
- 日本ロボット学会誌 30(5), 524-533, 2012-06-15
- … The problem of motor redundancy is well known as Bernstein's problem, named after the scientist who first posed the knotty problem in the early 1930s. …
- NAID 10030783115
- 日本の文化人類学的研究における課題と展望 : 個人の研究史をとおして(第6回日本文化人類学会賞受賞記念論文)
- 波平 恵美子
- 文化人類学 76(4), 375-390, 2012-03-31
- 日本を文化人類学的な研究対象とすることは、文化の現状を考え文化人類学という学問領域が置かれている環境を考える時、文化人類学は有利な点と克服しなければならない課題の双方を抱えることになると考える。その課題のうちいくつかを取上げても乗り越えるには大きな努力は要求されるものの、一方では文化人類学の本領を発揮できる挑戦するに値する課題でもある。成功するならば、文化人類学の理論と方法に発展をもたらし、文化的 …
- NAID 110009436708
- 伸長結晶性エラストマーの補強構造解明の新展開 (下) : 最新の機器分析が明かす架橋NRの伸長結晶化構造と補強の実態
- knot·ty (nŏt′ē) adj. knot·ti·er, knot·ti·est 1. Tied or snarled in knots. 2. Covered with knots or knobs; gnarled. 3. Difficult to understand or solve: " [The columnist] supplies funny, wise responses to knotty ethical dilemmas posed by ...
- カットが上手い髪に優しいと評判の福岡市早良区原の美容室knotty(ナッティー)ヘアケアマイスター取得する等施術内容から薬剤・商品にもこだわりのある安心安全なサロン【住所】福岡市早良区原1-39-5ベリーノ藤崎南1F【knnoty of hair】