- 〈U〉(記号などによる)表示 / 〈C〉(語句などの)表示する意味,外延(がいえん)(語句の表面的な意味をいう;connotationは意味の背後に含まれた意味)
Not to be confused with detonation.
Denotation is a translation of a sign to its meaning, more exactly, to its literal meaning. Denotation is sometimes contrasted to connotation, which translates a sign to meanings associated with it.
- 1 In semiotics
- 2 In other fields
- 3 Examples
- 4 External links
Main article: denotation (semiotics)
In logic, linguistics and semiotics, the denotation of a word or phrase is a part of its meaning; however, the part referred to varies by context:
- In grammar and literary theory, the literal meaning or "dictionary definition" of a term, devoid of emotion, attitude, and color.
- In semiotics, the surface or literal meaning of a signifier.
- In logic, formal semantics and parts of linguistics, the extension of a term.
In other fields
- In Computer science, denotational semantics is contrasted with operational semantics.
- In media-studies terminology, denotation is an example of the first level of analysis: what the audience can visually see on a page. Denotation often refers to something literal, and avoids being a metaphor. Here it is usually coupled with connotation which is the second level of analysis, being what the denotation represents.
The denotation of this example is a red rose with a green stem. The connotation is that it is a symbol of passion and love – this is what the rose represents.
The denotation is a brown cross. The connotation is a symbol of religion, according to the media connotation. However, to be more specific this is a symbol of Christianity.
The denotation is a representation of a cartoon heart. The connotation is a symbol of love and affection.
- Semiotics for Beginners
- VirtuaLit Elements of Poetry
- Attitudes of patients and clinicians in relation to the at-risk state for psychosis.
- Welsh P, Tiffin PA.SourceSchool for Health, The Wolfson Research Institute, Durham University, Queen's Campus, Stockton-on-Tees; Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust, Durham, UK.
- Early intervention in psychiatry.Early Interv Psychiatry.2013 Jun 17. doi: 10.1111/eip.12062. [Epub ahead of print]
- AIM: In the last decade, advances have been made in identifying young people who may be at relatively high risk (HR) of developing psychosis. Given the controversial and experimental nature of the HR concept, the attitudes and experiences of mental health professionals and patients are likely to inf
- PMID 23773477
- Biomarkers, the molecular gaze and the transformation of cancer survivorship.
- Bell K.SourceDepartment of Anthropology, University of British Columbia , 6303 NW Marine Dr, Vancouver, BC V6 T 1Z3, Canada . E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BioSocieties.Biosocieties.2013 Jun;8(2):124-143.
- Over the past two decades, molecular technologies have transformed the landscape of cancer diagnosis, treatment and disease surveillance. However, although the effects of these technologies in the areas of primary and secondary cancer prevention have been the focus of growing study, their role in te
- PMID 23750174
- International policies and strategies for the remediation of land contaminated by radioactive material residues.
- González AJ.SourceArgentine Nuclear Regulatory Authority, Avenida del Libertador 8250, 1429 Buenos Aires, Argentina. email@example.com
- Journal of environmental radioactivity.J Environ Radioact.2013 May;119:5-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jenvrad.2010.06.005. Epub 2010 Sep 28.
- The paper addresses the international policies and strategies for the remediation of land contaminated by radioactive material residue, its main aim being to describe the misunderstandings, evolution and status of the international paradigms in this area. Thus, the denotation and connotation of the
- PMID 20880618
- 二人の「若者」はどこに消えたのか : 共観福音書のテクスト依存関係に関する研究 <学位論文要旨>
- 溝田 悟士,ミゾタ サトシ,Mizota Satoshi
- 広島大学大学院総合科学研究科紀要. I, 人間科学研究 7, 87-90, 2012-12-31
- … As a result of semasiologically criticizing the connotation of "resurrect," the denotation's distinction between egeiro and anistemi establishes Mark's logical structure as follows: [(10:38)∧(14:36)⊃(1:9)] ∧[(1:9)⊃(15:25)]∧[(15:37-38)≡(1:10-11)] / [(16:1-8)⊃(1:35-36)]. …
- NAID 120005245683
- 田中 敦,Tanaka Atsushi
- 現代社会文化研究 (53), 127-142, 2012-03-00
- … In this case, these two meanings of set expressions can be regarded as a denotation and a connotation of visual texts. …
- NAID 120005240936
- 吉田 文彦
- 情報処理学会研究報告. 人文科学とコンピュータ研究会報告 2011-CH-91(2), 1-6, 2011-07-23
- 森,安倍,福田,麻生,鳩山の 5 つの内閣を対象に,4 全国紙の内閣関連社説内のポジティブな意味の語とネガティブな意味の語を数え時系列で論調を指数化したところ,どの内閣でも支持率と有意な相関があった.
- NAID 110008584084
- denotation [(dee-noh-tay-shuhn)] The basic dictionary meaning of a word, without its connotations. For example, the denotation of the word modern is “belonging to recent times,” although the word may have different connotations.
- denotation 【名】 《言語学》〔語の〕明示的意味 比喩的な（figurative）また... - アルクがお届けする進化するオンライン英和・和英辞書データベース。一般的な単語や連語から、イディオム、専門用語、スラングまで幅広く収録。