- (law) an answer of `no contest by a defendant who does not admit guilt but that subjects him to conviction (同)non vult
- maintain or assert; "He contended that Communism had no future" (同)postulate
- be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight; "the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country" (同)fight, struggle
- (…のことで…と)『争う』(compete),戦う《+『against』(『with』)+『名』+『for』(『about』)+『名』》 / (…について…と)論争する《+『against』(『with』)+『名』〈人〉+『about』『against, for』)+『名』〈事〉》
||Look up contender in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Contender may refer to:
- Contender (stock character), commonly used in books, TV shows, plays, and films
- The Contender (1944 film), film directed by Sam Newfield
- The Contender (2000 film), 2000 film starring Gary Oldman, Joan Allen, and Jeff Bridges
- The Contender (Lipsyte novel), 1967 novel by Robert Lipsyte
- "The Contender", a song by Menahan Street Band on the 2008 album Make the Road by Walking
- "Contender", a song by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart on their 2009 self-titled album The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- "Contenders" (song), a song by Heaven 17
- The Contender (TV series), a 2005 boxing-based reality television series or its spinoffs
- The Contenders, a 2011 C-SPAN series about influential American presidential nominees
- Contender (dinghy), type of sailing dinghy
- The Contender (firearm), single shot, break-action firearm made as a pistol or rifle, manufactured by Thompson Center Arms
- A variety of green beans
- Synergizing nucleic acid aptamers with 1-dimensional nanostructures as label-free field-effect transistor biosensors.
- Lung Khung Y, Narducci D.SourceUniversity of Milan-Bicocca, Department of Materials Science, Via R. Cozzi 53, I-20125 Milan, Italy.
- Biosensors & bioelectronics.Biosens Bioelectron.2013 Dec 15;50:278-93. doi: 10.1016/j.bios.2013.06.033. Epub 2013 Jul 1.
- Since the introduction by Gold et al. in 1990, nucleic acid aptamers had evolved to become a true contender in biosensors for protein and cell detections. Aptamers are short strands of synthetically designed DNA or RNA oligonucleotides that can be self-assembled into unique 3-dimensional structures
- PMID 23872609
- Fine mapping and identification of a candidate gene for a major locus controlling maturity date in peach.
- Pirona R, Eduardo I, Pacheco I, Da Silva Linge C, Miculan M, Verde I, Tartarini S, Dondini L, Pea G, Bassi D, Rossini L.AbstractBACKGROUND: Maturity date is a crucial factor for marketing of fresh fruit, especially those with limited shelf-life such as peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch): selection of several cultivars with differing MD would be advantageous to cover and extend the marketing season. Aims of this work were the fine mapping and identification of candidate genes for the major maturity date locus previously identified on peach linkage group 4. To improve genetic resolution of the target locus two F2 populations derived from the crosses Contender x Ambra (CxA, 306 individuals) and PI91459 (NJ Weeping) x Bounty (WxBy, 103 individuals) were genotyped with the Sequenom and 9K Illumina Peach Chip SNP platforms, respectively.
- BMC plant biology.BMC Plant Biol.2013 Oct 22;13(1):166. [Epub ahead of print]
- BACKGROUND: Maturity date is a crucial factor for marketing of fresh fruit, especially those with limited shelf-life such as peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch): selection of several cultivars with differing MD would be advantageous to cover and extend the marketing season. Aims of this work were the f
- PMID 24148786
- ENNET: inferring large gene regulatory networks from expression data using gradient boosting.
- S Awek J, Arodz T.AbstractBACKGROUND: The regulation of gene expression by transcription factors is a key determinant of cellular phenotypes. Deciphering genome-wide networks that capture which transcription factors regulate which genes is one of the major efforts towards understanding and accurate modeling of living systems. However, reverse-engineering the network from gene expression profiles remains a challenge, because the data are noisy, high dimensional and sparse, and the regulation is often obscured by indirect connections.
- BMC systems biology.BMC Syst Biol.2013 Oct 22;7(1):106. [Epub ahead of print]
- BACKGROUND: The regulation of gene expression by transcription factors is a key determinant of cellular phenotypes. Deciphering genome-wide networks that capture which transcription factors regulate which genes is one of the major efforts towards understanding and accurate modeling of living systems
- PMID 24148309
- Japan as a Major Territorial Contender : Further Towards U.S.-Japan Military 'Alliance Restraint'
- contender 【名】競争者[相手] 勝つ見込みの高い競争相手を指すことが多い。 - アルクがお届けする進化するオンライン英和・和英辞書データベース。一般的な単語や連語から、イディオム、専門用語、スラングまで幅広く収録。
- Contender.com is the only free, fair & flexible marketplace where fans safely buy & sell live event tickets for what they’re really worth with no service fees ... Let Us Explain How it Works Learn how we eliminate the anxiety and ...
- allegation, argue, claim, contention, insist